[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help- New York Dog laws

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kizwiz@xxxxxxx, atlanticrescue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, GSDRescue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:12:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Pat, how extremely uncomfortable a position you are in!

Where are you exactly?

I've been where you are. AC showed up at my door literally  with a leash in
hand. Like he was going to take a dog away. Silly silly man, like there was a
chance in hell I would allow him to walk away with a dog. ( dumbass )

Do NOT be intimidated. Find out your bylaws. I have worked around my bylaw of
only 2 dogs by writing a letter to the council letting them know I foster. I
had to go around to my immediate neighbors and let them know that I was
fostering and to tell them that this might come to light, from the AC and also
ask them if they were okay with the fact that there may be another GSD or other
breed every so often. ALL the neighbors are okay with the dogs. Except the dick
up across the road with his Dachshund who is never on leash and has a small dog
attitude. ( both dog and man small man attitude )

Unless they are gestapoing your property, I would say "what dog??"

Colleen Donnelly

Kizwiz@xxxxxxx wrote:
We have a situation of an abandoned dog being dropped off at our kennel. The
dog warden as usual would not return our calls. When we finally reached her
after numerous calls, we notified her of the dog and told her we would hold the
dog until the owner surfaced. Dog is a small Maltese and we groomed it due to
the severe matting. We also stated if the owner was not found, we had
customers who would take the dog. She then stated that the dog was "her "
property
according to the law and she would be right over. We asked her why on all other
occasions we had to deal with abandoned dogs ourselves and she would refuse to
do her job and her answer was to hang up on us. Next the State police called
and threatened me with arrest if I didn't surrender the dog. I told him to have
them come and we would give them the dog. One hour later we closed. She only
lives 5 minutes away. 2 1/2 hours later at 8:30 when we were eating dinner,
here comes the Trooper wanting the dog. Needless to say I was not arrested, I
refused to re open the kennel, and I am sure they will return in the AM in
force. The question is, do they have the legal right to seize this dog? I have
been
reading the ag, laws pertaining to dog abandonment and nowhere can I find any
mention of a situation such as this. Any help would be appreciated. Pat

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED BETTERMENT REGISTRY

The only way to understand & estimate the nature of the dog is to study his
whole development. Such a task requires a sympathetic, dog-loving observer, who
tries as far as possible to enter into the innermost mind of the dog, and who
will know how to short-circuit all his purely human points of view. --Max von
Stephanitz

Whoever will only draw conclusions from the eminence of his own particular
point of view, will obtain a distorted picture. Max von Stephanitz

http://mail.yahoo.com