[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help- New York Dog laws

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kizwiz@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:46:05 -0400

I'm not sure, and I suggest you contact an attorney, but in the case of
racehorses, I do know that if you were given the animal to board and
care for, then there is at least an outstanding board bill that you are
entitled to before anyone can take the animal out of your care.
(Racehorses are often sold for the outstanding board bill when the
owners fail to show up.)
    If the dog warden has never responded before, the dog warden might
want the dog for herself.  I would get on a very high horse about
this...especially if the dog warden has not been interested in other
dogs in the past.  State police notwithstanding, it doesn't sound as if
she's "entitled" to the dog at all.  And, sorry to say, you never should
have called her in the first place, especially if she never cared before.
Peggy