[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Deaf....?

  • From: Michael Lynch <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gailbauman1@xxxxxxx, ShowGSDs <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:32:34 -0800 (PST)

Dogs and Humans usually are either (1) born with a
congenital hearing deficit or (2) exposure to noise
over extended periods of time or (3) a break in the
ossicular chain in the inner ear (sharp blow to head
in humans usually causes a disarticulation of the
stapedius (stirrup bone) ) causes whats known as a
"conductive" hearing loss.

Just like anything, the internal auditory meatus
breaks down over time. Usually, as humans we begin to
suffer about a 5-10 dB hearing loss
(bilaterally--meaning both ears) by the time we reach
our mid to late 40's (analogous to putting your index
finger in your ears). However, we compensate by
reading lips, turning the volume higher et.. al..

Canines haven't a way to express this phenomenon is
happening except through their actions. Perhaps her
actions are giving you an insight into what is
happening.

Michael Lynch, AuD (CCC-2005)

Michael Lynch
  BlackHawk Farms,LLC