[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hemangioscarcoma

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:21:47 EST

In a message dated 12/31/2007 4:16:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Begin  forwarded message:

> I also have a friend who lost two dogs to  this.  Mother and daughter -
> Neither lived very long after  diagnosis.  It happened so quickly with
> the daughter who was 8 I  think, that she was put down the same day she
> was taken to the U of  FL at Gainesville.      Anne, TN

> On Dec 31, 2007,  at 1:35 PM, Mary-Anne wrote:
>
>> I do have a friend  who
>> just lost her 6 year old GSD to a tumour on the spleen that  bled out.

I lost 2 to hemangioscarcoma of the spleen, litter brother and sister from
the old BJ's line:)  I think it's pretty common, or at least I was told it
was.  I did a lot of research at the time.  In my case the bitch was 8  1/2,
her
brother later at almost 11.

Knowing what I lost her from, I started doing CBCs on him every 6 months,
(some cancers throw the results off), and my boy had just had a test that came
back fine less than 2 moths before I lost him.  By the time you realize
what's up, there's really nothing you can do.... but I know my vet suspected it

immediately when he saw my bitch...pale gums, labored breathing, tired very
easily.  It was confirmed in both cases by x-rays/ultrasound.

Because, in my case, I lost 2 from the same litter, naturally I asked if it
was genetic.  Who knows?  Labs and goldens have this quite a bit and I  was
able to dig up some research that the golden people did that showed a higher
incidence w/ dogs that had been x-rayed in utero (why I never x-ray pregnant
bitches), but again, that was over 10 years ago now, so maybe there is newer,
better research.  I went a little nuts, threw out plastic water dishes,  never
used pesticides anyway, stopped using carpet cleaners (switched to  vinegar)
etc, etc.

My Becky will be 10 next month.  Her breeder lost her mother to this  at 7
1/2.  If Becky has a day that she seems just a bit tired, I am in her  mouth
looking at her gums; it's just something you never get over.

If there is one positive thing re hemangioscarcoma of the spleen the dogs
don't suffer.  I was told by numerous vets that they felt a little off, a
little "punk", weak, like we would if we were coming down with the flu.

Maybe someday they'll find an answer...

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds