[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Article on dogs - NO solution

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:51:55 EST

In a message dated 11/10/2005 10:24:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
We're losing this battle.....
I had one go from a happy dog playing with it's family at the river about a
100
feet away ......to "locking into" me as I sat with an 8 mos. old pup at the
river.
The owners were trying to call it back as it made that stiff legged stiff
tail approach
towards me....unprovoked and with a NICE family.....and totally in another
zone
as it came at me....didn't even seem to hear it's owners...and the look in
it's eyes!!
Had my 8 mos. old pup not stood up and threatened it to stay
back......causing it
to hesitate and finally snap out of it and respond to the owners.   So, shoot
me now ......
Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
Carolyn,

You have a very valid point.  The Pit Bull craze has many NICE people and
families buying or adopting a breed that was bred to fight.  Many are in way
over
their heads.  And, let's face it, most pet people don't know a thing about
training a dog.

However, that doesn't mean there is no solution.  Making owners of people who
breed a dog to fight or use these dogs as a weapon is a very good start.
Education is also important and people are becoming a lot less ignorant about
the
difference between and Am Staff and a Pit Bull.  But more needs to be done in
the education department.

Yes, there are BAD dogs.  I had a Lab that turned on me when she was 3 yrs
old.  Had her from a pup.  Great lines, solid temperament everywhere.  She just
went nutso after I had my baby.  I found out she was epileptic and that may
have contributed to it, but the point is it can happen in any breed.  So to
punish a BREED isn't going to help anything.  Breed Legislation punishes the
majority for the minority.  That is not right either.

The "Broken Windows" theory states that you start with the small things to
eventually take care of the bigger picture.  That is where we need to start.
Punish the BAD GUYS and put the responsibility where it needs to be.  Abolish
cock fighting and dog fighting in States where it is lstill egal.  Make harsher
laws for any criminal who uses a dog in the futherance of a crime or to
protect illegal activity.  Educate people who want to adopt Pit Bulls.  PSA's
would
be awesome if folks could gather the money PETA has to run Ads.  Cities could
even adopt an ordinance requiring people to have obedience school certificates
to re-register any dog over 1 yr old.  And, yes, our show dogs could do this
too.  Very basic stuff requiring the dog to listen to the owner.

I just don't think sweeping BSL's will benefit anyone or reduce the number of
attacks.  It will be just like gun legislation.  Eventually, only the BAD
guys will have them.  JMHO

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/