[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Rep, etc

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gretchanya@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:00:48 -0800

 As I said to Peter and Darrell -
You are missing the point. This is NOT about double handling. This is about
her putting her hands on exhibitors.
Becky T. Dickson

This will be my last public post on this topic.

I do not agree with the Rep for putting her hands on exhibitors.  I think
she should be hauled on the carpet, because this is outside her authority;
IMO.

However, Let me play devil's advocate.  She's the Rep for the Show.  She has
her mandates that are part of her position as the Field Rep, IE her job.
One of those is dealing with problems created at dog shows before they get
blown out of proportion.

You say you weren't there the first day.  While I admit I did not read every
post that hit the list(s) on this subject, I have read at least one if not
more where it was stated that the doubling on the first day was disruptive
and offensive to the other breeds that were also having their specialties.

Now, let's just say there were 5 other specialties happening (just throwing
this out there for a number).  If they had entries similar to the Shepherds,
they would have just as many, if not more people there attending -- that's 5
times the potential complaints that she would have received.  If I had that
many complaints coming in over one breed's exhibitors behavior, you can be
guaranteed I'd be SCRUTINIZING things the next days -- because, a lot of
complaints from a weekend hitting the home office might mean my job could be
at risk.

Rules, Policies and Guidelines for Conformation Dog Show Judges:

Policies are adopted by the Board of Directors, and Rules are approved by
the Delegate body. ***Compliance with these is mandatory.***

[P] (Stands for policy) Double Handling Evaluate each dog solely on merit
without regard to outside influences such as double handling. Double
handling can usually be eliminated by announcing to exhibitors and ringside
that you not tolerate the practice. You may excuse any dog competition if
you believe someone or something is influencing its performance or
showmanship other than dog's handler in the ring. If there are unnecessary
disturbances outside your ring, you may call for Show Chairman or the AKC
Field Representative.

Field reps like the AKC's arm at the show.  While you're contention has
converted to the fact she put her hands on people -- the real fact is it all
started because DOUBLE HANDLING got out of control at one of the days of the
show and while her reactions themselves may have out of control -- remember
her was facing the fact that **job** may potentially have been on the line
because of actions of people attending the shows on the first day and the
resulting complaints she may have received from the other breeds.  How do
you think it would look to her bosses if she didn't do anything and that
behavior continued throughout the weekend -- and the complaints from the
people in other breeds were sent in?

Regardless, we need to move on as a collective group.  Maybe we can make
changes to the way we conduct ourselves at the shows it may make a
difference.

Kathaleen