[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Rep, etc

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:53:19 -0800 (PST)

While I tend to welcome all the hugs I get at shows, and I am not calling the
cops on the huggers!!!  I also know that the reps are not supposed to be on a
mission.  They are supposed to keep the peace and enforce the rules.  If the
rep had asked if Becky had a dog in the ring, or where she was walking to and
why, without making physical contact, then she would have been doing her job.

  Just intervening in someone's progress can stop doubling if it needs to be
stopped.  She could have asked the judge to request quiet for the other breeds,
if doubling was apparent.  But instead this rep was accosting people.  People
who were not doubling at all.  Now, I know I would call the cops, until this
mess, who knows what I would have done.  Certainly gone to the show chair for
starters.

  But on the other hand, we are in a real quandary right now.  We have had a
bad year as a Parent Club to be sure.  AKC may well not be very happy with us.
How much this has to do with events at Fitchburg, I don't know.  But again, I
see where nothing good is coming of events and the events that follow events.

  I have only really doubled once, and it was not worth the effort.  My dogs
are so cued in on me that I must hide to let them work in the ring.  An
occasional whistle is more than enough, at specialty shows, to get them to look
for me.

  At all breeds, I must hide and be silent, or I am found by my dogs and they
stop working and worry about what I want.

  Why do people double so anyway?  I still don't get it.  Are our dogs just not
smart enough to be shown without being called from every corner of the ring?
With first time puppies, and handlers they don't know, I can see it, to learn
about the job, but beyond that, if a dog does not look for his/her owner or the
handler's partner if the dog lives with the handler, then what is wrong with
the dog?

  I admit I have never been a fan of doubleing out loud and the bells and
whistles being shaken and blown.  Am I the only one who can whistle with my
lips? (now now, gentlemen, you know who you are, don't start!!!!)

  I can call my dogs from almost anything but the neighbor dogs, and they will
come to me.  I can get them to alert to me anytime.  I don't have to do much.
And they are not even trained to show, since they can't be shown.

  For what it is worth, and I know there will be few if any takers, I will
gladly help anyone teach their dogs more sublte signals at any show I am at.
The dogs will pick it up on the spot and anyone who takes me up on this offer
will be able to use sublte tactics to double at the shows I am at.

  I told my handlers, just ask the dog "where's mommy?" and they would alert.
But the handlers don't believe me.  So they try to get me to run around the
ring.  Honey, if I don't have a dog in the ring, I don't run except to save my
life!!!!
  sheila
"Becky T. Dickson" <gretchanya@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Kathaleen wrote:

4) If you plan on showing at All Breed shows and
your dog "needs" doubling -- teach him/her 3 different INNOCOUS sounds to
accomplish it with -- and teach them to bait if they will.

While I can't argue with the rest of your post, I think I should clarify what
exhibitors endured in Fitchburg. I was not at the morning show, which
apparently started the commotion with this Rep. But I was at the following
three shows. The second day, I was yelled at for walking to another side of the
ring. She thought I was doubling. I didn't even walk fast - and I didn't have a
dog in the ring at the time.
The third show, I walked by her and she heard the bell tink in my pocket. Then
I got thrown out.
None of that behavior was obnoxious, loud or disrespectful. But it seems to me
that after whatever happened at the show I was not at, she was on a mission.

Becky T. Dickson
www.GretchAnya.com
www.GSDbyDesign.com
www.georgeberstler.com