[SAS-BOD] Re: Fwd: Spokane Astronomical Society and World SF Convention (Sasquan)

  • From: cave8@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: sasbod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 04:18:14 +0000 (UTC)

yes when I get back to town I will look in to it and make the contacts that
need to be made. I think I will be out of town that weekend at OSP but there
are plenty of club members that don't go to OSP that can do the event it sounds
like fun.

Debbie
From: "Eide, Phyllis" < eide@xxxxxxx >
Date: June 1, 2015 at 5:45:32 PM CDT
To: " john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx " < john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >, "
debbie.ns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx " < debbie.ns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
Cc: "Eide, Phyllis" < eide@xxxxxxx >, Laurie Mann < me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >, "Jill
Eastlake Sasquan Events DH" < jill.eastlake@xxxxxxxxxxx >, Sam Scheiner <
samscheiner56@xxxxxxxxx >
Subject: Spokane Astronomical Society and World SF Convention (Sasquan)

Hello! I’m writing on behalf of the 2015 World Science Fiction Convention ,
which will be held Aug. 19-23, 2015 at the Spokane Convention Center. We expect
5,000+ in attending members from all over the U.S. and from abroad. One
highlight of the convention will be the talk that will be given on 8/19 by
Brother Guy Consolmagno (Vatican astronomer) who just received the Carl Sagan
award for communication with the public.

We would love to explore with you the potential to have Spokane Astronomical
Society participate in star viewing with telescope set ups, possibly from the
north side of the convention center on the 19 th . [If you have a star party
that might be occurring on the 22 nd , we could also share that information for
those who might be willing to travel out to see some very dark skies].

We understand that there might some potential to have this urban stargazing
from the top of Riverpark Square (where star parties have been held before). I
know from looking at your website that you are doing some joint activities with
Mobius – they are also on board to do activities at the Con. I’d be happy to
answer (or facilitate answers) to any questions you may have. It’s an exciting
event that will showcase the best of our region, and it would be great to have
your local star gazing expertise involved. Cheers!

Phyllis Eide/Sasquan local university liaison