[SAS-BOD] Re: Fwd: Spokane Astronomical Society and World SF Convention (Sasquan)

  • From: Nick Monkman <nmonkman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sasbod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 21:19:38 -0700

yeah I'll be at Table Mountain the previous week but will be back in time
for the convention, looks like.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM, <cave8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yes when I get back to town I will look in to it and make the contacts
that need to be made. I think I will be out of town that weekend at OSP but
there are plenty of club members that don't go to OSP that can do the
event it sounds like fun.

Debbie
------------------------------
*From:* "Eide, Phyllis" <eide@xxxxxxx>
*Date:* June 1, 2015 at 5:45:32 PM CDT
*To:* "john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "
debbie.ns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <debbie.ns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Cc:* "Eide, Phyllis" <eide@xxxxxxx>, Laurie Mann <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Jill Eastlake Sasquan Events DH" <jill.eastlake@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Sam
Scheiner <samscheiner56@xxxxxxxxx>
*Subject:* *Spokane Astronomical Society and World SF Convention
(Sasquan)*

Hello! I’m writing on behalf of the 2015 World Science Fiction
Convention <http://sasquan.org/>, which will be held Aug. 19-23, 2015 at
the Spokane Convention Center. We expect 5,000+ in attending members from
all over the U.S. and from abroad. One highlight of the convention will be
the talk that will be given on 8/19 by Brother Guy Consolmagno (Vatican
astronomer) who just received the Carl Sagan award for communication with
the public.

We would love to explore with you the potential to have Spokane
Astronomical Society participate in star viewing with telescope set ups,
possibly from the north side of the convention center on the 19th. [If
you have a star party that might be occurring on the 22nd, we could also
share that information for those who might be willing to travel out to see
some very dark skies].

We understand that there might some potential to have this urban
stargazing from the top of Riverpark Square (where star parties have been
held before). I know from looking at your website that you are doing some
joint activities with Mobius – they are also on board to do activities at
the Con. I’d be happy to answer (or facilitate answers) to any questions
you may have. It’s an exciting event that will showcase the best of our
region, and it would be great to have your local star gazing expertise
involved. Cheers!

Phyllis Eide/Sasquan local university liaison