[sac-forum] Re: Supernova in M82

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:19:52 -0500

Somebody posted these 'fun facts' about the current luminosity of the
supernova, and his math checks out.  Keep in mind that it should get a couple
magnitudes brighter than mag. 11.  I'm trying to get my mind around a point
source that's as bright as the sun.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6331794/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1#Post6332457

----

(Assuming current apparent magnitude of 11, and a distance of 12 million light
years.)

If this supernova was right in the middle of the Oort cloud, about 1/3 light
years away from Earth, it would appear as bright as the Sun.

At 200 light years away (a bit closer than Spica) it would appear as bright as
the full Moon.

At 40k light years (near half-way across our galaxy) it would appear as bright
as Sirius.

Its luminosity in absolute terms is 1/2 billion times greater than the Sun.