[sac-forum] Supernova in M82

  • From: Mike Wiles <mikewilesaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:10:03 -0700

As many of you probably know by now a supernova has been discovered in M82,
making the Ursa Major region of the sky perhaps the most unstable part of
the universe.  I believe this is three in 2 years (M51 and M101) isn't it?

Anyway, I've been in the midst of working on my own image of M82 and had
been collecting data as recently as January 14th but none of the frames
show any indication of the coming supernova.  I had put the project on hold
waiting for the moon to get out of the way and had scheduled some more time
to image the galaxy this evening.  Well, I got a few frames.

Here's my admittedly crude before and after shot if anybody should need a
finder chart.  It has to be stupendously easy as a visual target.  I know
that Keith Schlottman was featuring it at the end of the SkyNights program
tonight on Mt Lemmon with the 32".

Mike

[image: Inline image 1]

JPEG image