[sac-board] Re: Incorporation, yes or no

  • From: "Peter" <pargenz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:57:31 -0700

Paul,

I wonder if you could elaborate on numbers 1 and 2.

Why would the constitution need to be rewritten? How exactly is it
'inappropriate'? The articles of
incorporation are a wholly separate document from the constitution and bylaws.
As an example, EVAC
has been a non-profit corporation for just over a decade with a constitution
almost identical to
SACs.

Money? The fee for incorporating as a non-profit in Arizona is $40 ($75 for
expedited processing).
Add to that a $10 fee to reserve the name you intend to use while the paperwork
is being processed.
So far you've spent $50 or $85. After the Corporation Commission approves your
application you are
required to publish the articles of incorporation in a newspaper in the county.
This represents the
largest single expense, maybe about $150 - perhaps less depending on their
rates. Suitable
newspapers include Arizona Business Gazette, Arizona Capitol Times or the
Record Reporter. So, the
total expenditure is less than $250. Somehow I don't see how a financial
concern would be a reason
not to incorporate.

How would incorporating the MM not involve the two issues you believe are
barriers to incorporating?

I will certainly agree there may be valid reasons not to incorporate... I just
don't think you've
identified them.

Peter