[sac-board] Re: Fw: copyrighted or public domain of double stardata base

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:52:04 -0700

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:01:59 -0700, Jack Jones wrote:

> It is not Public Domain. It is copyrighted. We only ask for a donation to
> the Club and mention of the Saguaro Astronomy Club in any published software
> you may create.

Actually, from the reading I did to copyright my books, data tables are
not copyrightable, only the presentation of the data is.  So about the
only thing in the SAC databases copyrightable is the text description of
the database fields and the DOS program for accessing the database (if
it's still included).

On the other hand, never say something is public domain unless you plan to
release ALL claims to it.  Once you say it's public domain, anyone can do
whatever they want with the item.

We can ask that commercial users of the databases donate money to IDA, but
we can't enforce this.