[sac-board] Re: Fw: copyrighted or public domain of double stardata base

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:07:58 -0700

 From what I can tell it's just generally known (in the astronomical
circles) data. As such it cannot be copyrighted.

If you wanted to do your own compilation by measuring all doubles
yourself and creating a list, it might be copyrighted, but even then
I doubt it.

Also, unless there is something unique associated with it, I believe
it's considered public domain.

The author, whoever, did not create the data, only listed it.

As it is, ANYTHING on the web is up for grabs, even if a copyright
notice is attached. Legally I do not see how there could be a problem
with the SAC database.

Jeff
--
                                      Jeff Hopkins