[rollei_list] Re: slide shows alive and well in Europe

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:42:57 -0700

Over the past - I can't remember - number of years, I've helped Hasselblad USA teach Hasselblad workshops on the CA central coast. Over the past few years, a number of participants used H and V cameras with digital backs. The other participants use chrome film. On the Wednesday evening after the weekend shoot, we would hold a slide show of participants work. The digits via a computer and attached digital projector. The 'real' photographers via a Hasselblad 6x6 PCP-80 projector. We always projected the digital work first, because, as soon as the first 6x6 transparency hit the screen, all of the digital work was immediately forgotten. The room filled with WOW OOOOO Aaaahhh, etc. Those noises were never heard during the digital projection.

The difference between looking at a transparency projected via a good (even a crappy) projector, vs digital files projected via a digital projector is like night and day! The dynamic range and color vividness of a real transparency projected, cannot be remotely challenged by digital projection.

Jim

At 07:18 PM 10/4/2006 -0700, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Peter,

It is not the unreliability that disturbs me. It is the dim, fuzzy images that

irritate me.  The company at which I am employed has the finest digital
projection equipment. but the results are pathetic.

Until you have seen what a 6x6 cm slide projected by a Rollei or Leica
6x6 projector, you could not appreciate the difference.

Jerry

--- Rollei List