[rollei_list] Re: slide shows alive and well in Europe

  • From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:27:11 +0000 (GMT)

Ah, lantern slides - now you're talking!
My family were advertising contractors - one of their companies puffed that
they were the "originators of theatrical advertising" (that being advertising
in theatres, rather than the style!). They certainly did advertising in theatre
intervals from the late 19th century, and later in cinemas. The original tool
of choice for projecting slides onto cinema safety curtains was the Magic
Lantern, before they were retired and replaced by Carousels, with
superslide-sized artwork (never photos). As a youth, I coaxed one of the
retired lantern projectors into use and was astonished at the vibrancy of the
colours in a fairly small room (in comparison to the large theatre it had been
used in). Mind you, even the Carousels gave a reasonable image, which never
ceased to amaze me - they were right at the back of generally large theatres
(Leeds Grand Theatre for one, for those who might know it). The lanterns and
all the old stuff disappeared while I was at university, but I've still got one
of the later Carousels, complate with quite a few extras, from when my father
closed the business down.

Back to now, I agree that digital projectors are often set up terribly, but
then so were OHPs! Luckily, there seems to be less appetite for presentations
these days.

Nick