[rollei_list] Re: scanners.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:51:01 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Davis" <jamesd@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:28 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: scanners.

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I have the compact edition, 1984 printing of the 1971 edition.

That's not a bad edition to have then, was just worried you were using
one of the smaller 'Oxford' dictionaries that doesn't reflect the true OED.

James (used to walk past OUP every day and went to college nearby)

I also have the smaller edition, which is quite limited. At some point I discovered I was collecting dictionarys. Most of these books are in storage at the moment. Beside the common Webster's New Collegiate, I have an Unabridged Webster's (can't remember the edition and I think I have two different ones), an American Standard, which is like the OED in many volumes. I got that cheap because its missing the map books. Also about five others.
I was quite surprized that I couldn't find enroiled in the OED. I had no doubt that it was a "real" word but I hadn't seen it in actual use before and was curious. Of course, no dictionary is exhaustive, even the OED. Like many, my reading vocabulary is much larger than my writing one. I have no doubt Marc's is much larger than mine, especially with his knowledge of some root languages to English.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx