[rollei_list] Re: scanners.

  • From: hoarcroft@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:01:51 -0500

I have used an Epson 4990 with 6 by 6 cm negatives and slides with some
success, though I am still a neophyte at achieving ideal scanning using
all the options available in the software available [including Epson Scan,
 VueScan and Silverfast Studio AI].

The major nuisance is that the film holder for this material is designed
for strips of two or three frames, and most of my frames are single. This
takes a bit of delicate balancing of film edges on the plastic rails of
the holders and careful carrying to the scanning glass. But it works
passibly well.

There is a certain satisfaction in getting quite a collection of 35 mm,  6
by 6 cm, 4 x 5 inch stock and a large pile of prints into one image
manager. Nostalgia trips divert the activity along the way, and
inevitably one realizes that one could have done better with the  earlier
efforts as one progresses.

If you can specify what your particular difficulties have been, perhaps
some of us can comment and suggest solutions.

Best of the season!

In <20051220.122546.2116.1.iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>, on 12/20/05
   at 12:20 PM, Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx> said:

>I am looking to scan in a large # of 6x6 negatives.  My Epson Perfection
>scanner, sharp as it is, cannot "find the image" on a lot of negatives
>that have perfectly printable images.  I don't know why.

>What scanners do folks use to scan in 6x6?  Do I need a "film scanner?"
>What I have is an attachment to a flatbed.

>Peter Nebergall

-
les clark / edgewater, nj / usa