[rollei_list] Re: recoating and polishing the Xenotar lens

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:15:38 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "JMN *" <retinaiiic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 12:34 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: recoating and polishing the
Xenotar lens

> I'll do a closer inspection, but at the moment all I can
> recall is
> excessinve cleaning marks on the front element.
>
> I am asking about the recoating and repolishing work as I
> wonder if the
> effort will make a significant differnece?
>
> John

  Cleaning marks usually mean a lot of fine scratches. If
there are enough they can act just like a diffuser over the
lens. The effect can be subtle and, perhaps, not noticable
until the lens is compared with another without the
scratches. John van Stelten does this work. Its not cheap.
The cost will depend on which lens it is, he can probably
give you some clue as the the price via e-mail although I am
sure he will want to examine it to be sure. Also keep in
mind that getting the front cell out of a Rolleiflex
requires some disassembly of the camera.

focalpt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
The Focal Point
John Van Stelten
1017 South Boulder Road