[rollei_list] Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30

  • From: Antonio Garcia Russell <antoniorussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:57:27 +0200

Hello Marvin,

I hope you dont mind my asking. How old are you?

Antonio

On 18 Sep 2006, at 04:58, Marvin Wallace wrote:

So that I don't have to carry to many pieces of gadgetry, I will down load
music to my mobile phone, I think that this is a much more practical
solution to carrying music than missing calls because of being plugged into
the IPOD or MP3 player. As for "interface" I think Sony's interface is
excellent. I travel about two hours to and from work every day, and I can
hardly get time to listen to music, what with studying and the Rollei list
of course. But when I can the MP3 suits my needs.
But back to the main point, I am on the Rollei list because I LOVE Rollei
cameras and in particular the Rollei 3.5F TLR. Because I am not a Mac user
although I was once but no longer am, this does not compromise my being on a
Rollei list.
I like the Planar because it gives beautiful grays when using the zone
system. And the square format is excellent for composition.
I don't know how to use Photoshop very well, but I have considerable
experience in exposing films and printing in the darkroom. This is why Im on
the Rollei list. If I wanted to debate PC's and Mac's I would join a Mac's
rule type list.
Just my compatibility problems worth.

-----Original Message----- From: rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Frank Dernie Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 3:28 AM To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30

obviously our priorities differ! I travel all over the world for my
work (about 60 flights a year) and am a music lover. The ipod is
absolutely the best thing that has happened to my travelling in 30
years! I pre-ordered the original as soon as it was announced and it
is still going strong. The walkman was a great breakthrough but the
ipod does it so small. I also now have a larger capacity one too. It
has been a delight to own a piece of microprocessor controlled
domestic equipment with an intelligent intuitive user interface. None
of the Japanese mass market have managed it, be it programming a VCR
or changing the settings on a digicam! My daughter bought a Sony mp3
player in a burst of "anti hype" - nicely made unit - not as good in
any other way.
Frank

On 18 Sep, 2006, at 03:09, Marvin Wallace wrote:

Frank wrote,
If cheap is your main arbiter I am surprised you are on the Rollei
list ;-)

Nice point Frank although completely irrelevant! I'm on the Rollei
list
because I love Rollei cameras. My being on the Rollei list is
because I am a
fine art photographer! This in my opinion has nothing to do with
Mac vs P.C,
either of which I am very interested in, although I dislike Mac more;
particularly since the launch of the idiotic IPOD.
Just Shuffling.
Marvin.

-----Original Message----- From: rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Frank Dernie Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:28 AM To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30

not my experience.
In the 80s when the pc appeared it was pitifully slow and had the
first really bad commercial operating system. I did not work
properly. Good marketing persuaded naive new to computers customers
that that was normal. Compared to the (cheaper) computer I was using
at the time it was about 50x slower and crashed all the time.
The mac was much more expensive initially, but massively more
powerful - necessary for the very much more powerful operating system
- which made it easy for non techies to use.
The relative merits and prices have ebbed and flowed in the meantime
and I have continued to (have to) use both. PCs have normally been
cheaper and worse made, for gaming they are a no brainer as the video
is faster. From a software point of view the Apple OS has always been
superior to any of the concurrent Microsoft OSs, usually very
considerably. From a hardware point of view Apple, to an extent, shot
themselves in the foot by not letting others make compatible
hardware. It will always be a matter of opinion but most of the time
the Apple hardware has been better styled and made but pcs from super
cheap sources were great for students (and cheapskates).
My current laptops are Hewlett a Packard PC and oldish G4 Mac 17".
They cost about the same, the HP is potentially a touch faster but
the software rarely works smoothly, particularly on the company
network - the IT department don't know why (XP Pro) and have not been
able to fix it...... The Mac is much better made, the OS (10.4.7) is
very much superior.
If cheap is your main arbiter I am surprised you are on the Rollei
list ;-)
Frank

On 17 Sep, 2006, at 16:26, Marvin Wallace wrote:

I too was a Macintosh user, and then I bought a P.C and found that
there is
little difference between the two, the exception being Macs are
stupidly
overpriced. P.C's are cheaper faster and have a whole lot more
accessories
at a third of the price.

--- Rollei List

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org