[rollei_list] Re: Verichrome

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:55:26 -0400

Sanders, that wasn't just any student Sax, but one of the very famous
Grafton saxes. From Wikipedia:

"The most notable player of a Grafton saxophone was Charlie Parker.
While in Toronto, Charlie Parker and “the quintet” were scheduled to
perform at Massey Hall, but Parker had pawned his saxophone - some
sources say to buy heroin. A sales representative for Grafton (or the
owner of the company, depending upon from whom one receives the story)
asked Parker to use a Grafton for a Massey Hall gig in May 1953.
Although Parker was under exclusive contract to use only one type of
saxophone whilst gigging in the United States, outside the U.S.A. he
was free to use any sax he wished, including this Grafton. The
recording of Parker (credited as Charlie Chan due to contract issues)
can be heard on the CD "Jazz at Massey Hall" with Bud Powell, Dizzy
Gillespie, Charles Mingus and Max Roach. The Grafton saxophone that
Parker used (serial number 10265) was sold at the Christie's auction
house in London in September 1994 for £93,500 sterling, though this
was because of its association with a famous jazz musician rather than
the instrument itself having any special merit. The buyer was the
American Jazz Museum, located in Parker's home town of Kansas City,
Missouri."

I love that record, too. I had in on vinyl, but I loaned it out and
never got it back...

Eric Goldstein