[rollei_list] Re: Verichrome

  • From: <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:02:27 -0700

 Eric, thanks for the kind words.  One of my favorite jazz LPs was called
Jazz at Massey Hall -- it was out of print for ages but can be found now.
A Canadian jazz society had voted Charlie Parker, Max Roach, Mingus,
Bud Powell and Dizzy Gillespie the greatest jazz musicians of the day,
and arranged for a concert starring all five in Toronto.  Parker (who is
credited on the LP as "Charlie Chan" because his record label forbade
his appearance) forgot his horn and showed up with a white plastic
student alto sax.

http://pics.livejournal.com/chillldren/pic/000200s3

Listen to the disc, and try to say how Bird's performance would have
been improved by a "better" horn.

From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 08:30:39 -0400
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Verichrome

My father shot this very same camera and Verichrome Pan when I was a kid,
and he did so with similar talent and effect. I am grateful to have learned
the lesson early in my life that the camera is not what counts...
accordingly I always spent modestly on hardware but did try to shoot as much
film as I could afford.
I think a large part of what my father and Sanders are able to do is build
comfort, trust and a relationship with the subjects they shoot, and it shows
in the images. Of course, I am not just referring to Melanie, Sanders ;-)
--- Rollei List - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Unsubscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Online, searchable archives are available at //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list