[rollei_list] Re: ?? True Sizes of Tripod Mounting Holes

  • From: John Jensen <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:03:23 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding your Praktiflex comment, I found this on the
photonotes.org website:

Tripod mount.

    A threaded socket in the base of most cameras to
which a screw can be attached.

These sockets are used to attach camera bodies and
lenses to tripod heads, flash brackets, monopods, etc.
They come in two sizes - 1/4 inch (with 20 threads per
inch pitch, or 1/4-20) for smaller cameras such as
nearly all 35mm cameras and 3/8 inch (with 16 threads
per inch pitch, or 3/8-16) for larger cameras. Even
most European and Japanese manufacturers use these
non-metric sizes for historical reasons, though tripod
mounts with incompatible thread counts are sometimes
found on European and Russian equipment.

cf. flash bracket, monopod, studio pedestal, tripod,
tripod collar.

John