[rollei_list] Re: T shutter jam

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:57:31 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sanders McNew" <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:06 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] T shutter jam

After shooting a dozen or so rolls through
my newly-acquired T, the shutter jammed.
The camera was cocked but the shutter
button was frozen.  I opened the back to
remove the film but when I shut it again
the shutter is still frozen.  (Yes, the shutter
release guard is open.)

I am assuming that this is a job for a proper
repair guy.  Any thoughts as to cause?
I know little about the Ts and thought it
prudent to sound the pros before sending
it out.  Many thanks in advance for your
advice and thoughts.

Sanders

    Please edit when responding to the digest.
I am not as familiar with the T as with earlier models but I think the mechanism is similar. Jamming can come from the shutter not being fully cocked. Its cocked by an articulated lever which is worked by the crank, the system works against a cam which is moved by the focus knob to adjust the throw to compensate for the shutter position changing with the distance focused on. If there is a bit of wear the lever will not move enough to fully cock the shutter. This may happen only at one end of the focus travel but will eventually happen all over. When the shutter is only partially cocked it will latch but not fire. I think that may be what is happening here. There is an internal adjustment for the lever stroke. That adjustment may be enough or, if there is enough wear, the eccentric adjustment or cam may need to be worked on. This is definitely a job for a pro.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA