[rollei_list] Re: SL66 tips

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:50:10 -0700

Thanks Bob,

Jim

At 04:11 AM 9/26/2005, Bob Shell wrote:
I bought my first SL66 around 1971 or so. As time went on I picked up two more bodies as backups. I used this equipment until the mid 90s, when I switched over to the 6006 system.

Yes, the mechanical cameras are MUCH easier to work on. The SL66 is actually a pretty simple camera mechanically, and there isn't much to really go wrong. The weak point is the flash contact module, which was redesigned several times over the lifespan of the SL66. The flash synch speed is supposed to be 1/30 second, barely adequate. Often as the contact module wears the synch speed will drift down to 1/15 second or even slower. I solved this problem by buying the lenses with Compur leaf shutters in them.

Bob
On Sunday, September 25, 2005, at 02:33  PM, Jim Brick wrote:

At 11:50 PM 9/24/2005, Jan Decher wrote:

buy ($$$) or borrow Mannheim's big SL66 book which explains everything SL66.

First, I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my request for SL66 info. You have all been great.

Jan, what is the actual name of "Mannheim's big SL66 book"? I assume that Mannheim is the author.

Another thought that I had was, is not the mechanical cameras much easier to repair over the electronic versions? I know that my 200 series Hasselblads can only be repaired by the factory - Hasselblad USA. No independents can work on these cameras, yet. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it takes special tools and instrumentation to do the A portion of a CLA.

Thanks again everyone,

Jim

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List