[rollei_list] Re: SL66 tips

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:50:21 -0400

Hi Jim:
I have had the original SL66 without the meter and the SL66SE. I highly recommend getting the later one, perhaps even the last limited edition model with the "gold numbered corner" as it will probably have the most life left in it. This model has spot and integral metering which is nice to have if you shoot chromes.
The camera is pretty straight forward in operation. The ability to close-focus al the lenses and instantly invert the basic ones (50/80/150/250) to retroposition using the front bayonet is fantastic (why can't more cameras offer this?). The tilt function is limited to 8 degrees or so. If that's the most important to you perhaps get the big Fuji (690 or sth. like that).

I sold my SL66SE which I got in good condition from the Rollei Club to a happy fellow in Norway because it was too large for me and it stayed home too much. Also I couldn't find some of the lenses I really wanted (esp. 5.6/500 mm). I switched to Contax 645 and haven't regretted it yet, in spite of current limbo situation with Contax 645 production & future. The Contax 645 is much more portable when split into its components (finder, body, lens, back). If I want to shot squares nowadays I use my trusty 3.5E Xenotar and soon a reconditioned Super Ikonta 6x6.
If you get the older basic non-metered SL66 have the longer mirror lever installed by Harry Fleenor to avoid mirror lock and buy ($$$) or borrow Mannheim's big SL66 book which explains everything SL66.
Jan

===From: Jim <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Intro and WTB [some OT and long]
Hi folks,
... I am very interested in a Rollei SL66 since it is both a normal camera and a tilt camera.
I really don't know too much about the SL66. I have read numerous web sites
(SL66.com, etc.) so I understand what the camera is about and why I want
one. But which one? I hope someone on this list (someone who has stayed
awake and read this far... :-) can advise me on the models as to - are
there any models to avoid. I've been thinking about the basic mechanical
SL66 since I don't need a built-in meter. I think I'm interested in:
SL66 camera; 40FLE, 80, 120/4 lenses; prism finder; and whatever...
Other than eBay, I do not know where to look for these items. If anyone has
a clue where to find good, clean, un-abused versions of the above items,
lease let me know. I would really appreciate it.
Jim Brick

--- Rollei List