[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex Sale

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:33:03 -0800

At 02:55 PM 11/26/2005 -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:

The problem is that mailing lists replace the original header with their own. Most mail clients give you a choice of replying to the sender or to "all" where there is a bunch of senders. However, on a mailing list the list address is likely to be in all the places the mail client looks at to get return addresses. So, one must do it manually by copying and pasting. In some cases the senders address shows up at the head of the message, as it does in this one. However, this is not always the case so its sometimes necessary to set the mail reader to look at the entire header to find the senders actual address. I doubt if Mac's are any better because the limitatiion is in the way the header has the information.
There are many other mail clients for Windows than Outlook or Outlook Express. For instance Mozilla has Thunderbird, a good freeware client. Probably the best is still Eudora but you really have to buy it, the so called free version downloads advertising.
I have OE here and am used to it despite having Thunderbird installed on this machine. At work I have Outlook, an enormously complicated program. Like other Microsoft programs it can be very versitile but windes up being hard to set up because it calls things by the wrong names in order to try to make it intuitive. For the same reason setting up filters in OE is a mess, you have to figure out what they _actually_ do, not what their names say they do.

I just upgraded Eudora again, to version 7. It's a superb email system with super filtering capabilities, and the ability to display (or not display) full header information.

If anyone is considering upgrading their email system I would recommend going to Eudora.com and having a look at the features. You can download the release notes, readme file, and if you want, the full 600 page manual. (Just because the manual is so large doesn't mean it's hard to use, it just means that there are many features available to advanced users, it runs right without no advanced features once you download and install it.)

I've been using Eudora since version 3 and I'm convinced it is still the best system available, and I've had to use most of them at various client sites.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA