[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8E value

  • From: "Stephen Attaway" <attaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:29:09 -0700

Jan and the Rollei list:

The 2.8e and 3.5e were the last rolleis that didn't have to
compete with the Hasselblad 500 system in the pro market
and the Nikon F in the advanced amateur market.

I suspect many more 'e's were sold than all the follow on
'f's and 't's combined. Thats true of the M3/M2 vs later
Leicas, because of the Nikon F.

Anyone have sales figures?

I'm a big fan of the 2.8e, just having picked up a second
example. Its with Harry Fleenor right now. The meter was
1/3 of a stop low. Harry has no parts for the meter and
tells me that the meter cell and meter came in matched sets
from the factory and have no adjustments for sensitivity.
My 'old' 2.8e meter is spot on, so if I get finicky I
suppose I can swap them out.

Gasser's in San Francisco just sold a 2.8f with a dead
meter for $400. Everything else worked.

Using that as a baseline, and figuring in the cost of a
cla, I think the camera zeros out and the outfit is worth
what the case, strap, mirrored caps, instruction manual,
diffusor and box are worth - about $300 if you bought all
those things seperately from keh or somewhere.