[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:22:01 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Kelley" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 10:17 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro Film

> Richard Knoppow wrote:
> Even though some modern B&W films have very hard
> emulsions not all do and there is still some advantage to
> the hardener in preventing damage to the film when its wet
> (the hardener has little or no effect on dry film).
>

> Richard, is it true that staining developers like Pyro
> harden the emulsion &
> therefore eliminate the need for adding a hardener to the
> fix or stop bath?
>
> Jeff

Pyro and some other developers, hydroquionone under some
conditions for instance, cause differential hardening of the
emulsion. While the same reaction products that cause
tanning are not the ones that cause the stain image they are
similar in that the effects are proportional to the image
density. Pyro developers leave a sort of relief image which
can be seen when the negatives are viewed by reflected
light. When used on unhardened gelatin Pyro developer can be
used to form a matrix image of the sort used for dye
transfer work although I think the developer supplied by
Kodak for dye transfer used a different developer.
    Because Pyro has relatively little effect on those parts
of the emulsion bearing a low density image it probably does
not protect them from wet abrasion.
    BTW, a side effect of the differential hardening is a
small change of the index of refraction of the gelatin. This
can produce a small acutance effect at the borders of high
and low density areas. There is also a variation in the
swelling of the emulsion which can cause a further acutance
effect due to a variation in developer penetration, plus
there can be some slight geometrical distortion of the image
due to the variation in shrinkage. For the last reason Pyro
developers designed for aerial photography are usually of
the non-staining type. Note that Pyro in the presense of
enough sulfite will not generate enough of the reaction
products of development to cause either staining or tanning.
While both effects are considered desirable now they were
not at one time and a considerable amount of work was done
in devising non-staining Pyro formulas especially for motion
picture use where the stain could be misleading in judging
the contrast of negatives (development by inspection was the
rule in the silent period) plus the exagerated edge effects
caused by the tanning could result in quite noticable "edge
crawl" on prints especially if a duplicate negative was
used. All ancient history.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA