[rollei_list] Re: Quiet, Please! - LPM Image Resolution

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:37:55 +0200

Hi Mark,

this is what I was trying to say (your text below), you just said it better.

I think that instead of arguing about which is best, it would be better to qualify why one brand/system might be more advantageous for certain types of work or look.

I didn't say it didn't matter, or that you shouldn't care. I said that all current gear is capable of producing great results in the right hands. Finding out which is right for you is different than finding which is "best". (Best for what, in that case?)

For 14 years I had a Bronica SQ-Ai system with PS lenses. I got excellent results, really amazing shots, consistently. When I switched to the 6008i, suddenly all my shots sucked. Was it the gear? Hardly. It took me a year (maybe more) to get familiar enough with the Rollei to get great results again. I picked up a used 2.8TLR a few years ago and was spot on from the first roll, no getting to know the gear period needed at all. Does that make the 2.8 better than the 6008i?

I think what I'm trying to say is that arguing about which is best (at this level of gear) is meaningless. I think that Sanders portraits would look sterile if shot with a 6008 and a 180/2.8. Imperfections don't always mean something is inferior :-). I think it is more meaningful to discuss *what* is great about various brands/models, and what gets in the way (again, a user preference).

Just some thoughts on a rainy afternoon.

Cheers,
Thor

On 3. okt.. 2009, at 02.30, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Its a market share progression not a quality progression.
I'm sure Nikon is no better than Canon its a personal preference thing.

Mark William Rabiner