[rollei_list] Re: Quiet, Please! - LPM Image Resolution

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:30:39 -0400

>> Plenty however DO look into it and may therefore use Nikon
>> instead of Canon or even take it a step further and use the German
>> stuff.
>
> Surely you're not implying that the trajectory toward quality gear
> starts with Canon, and moves up to Nikon?
> Good thing this isn't the Canon vs. Nikon list!    ;  )

No I'm implying that that's the way things are now.
Canon is by far the most obvious choice for photographers out there yet you
do see yourself not the only Nikon shooter in plenty of situations; and we
can make a surprising showing.
In the 90s you'd always see at least one Leica shooter. And now with the
Full frame M9 out we'll seeing a lot more of those again.

Its a market share progression not a quality progression.
I'm sure Nikon is no better than Canon its a personal preference thing.
I'm trying to figure out if its possible and practical for me to try to
amass 7 grand for an M9. I do have the glass ahead of time and that glass is
a class above the nikon stuff I'm shooting now.
And I also feel that a prosumer back is in the wings to get my Zeiss Hassy
glass in gear again. For digital medium format results.

Mark William Rabiner