[rollei_list] Re: Oddball Musings from This Mutabile Soul

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:19:42 -0400

At 01:12 PM 3/29/2012, Kirk Thompson wrote:

I can't help responding re: the joys of photography dimming with age. Feeling that photography ? either gelatin-silver or digital ? is over and it's time for golden oldies, cigar smoke, and musing after 60 is a personal viewpoint that others might not regard with empathy. OK for you, not for me!

I can understand if/when disability makes photography difficult or impossible. I mentioned once before that Lee Friedlander had such a crisis when his knees gave out in his mid-70s, but knee replacements put him back behind his camera.

My experience is the other way around. I retired without thoughts of returning to photography, intending it to be a time for scholarship. The gift of a little digital camera (an amazing 3 MP) got me started again, and I've since been equally happy with film and digital. I belong to an active photo group that holds monthly critiques, and I find that the younger people, while they regard their oldest member as a rather an old-fashioned 'formalist,' treat me and my work with the same respect that they show one another. We're quite a mix of ages and backgrounds: we're pleased to have, besides aspiring young artists, a couple of retired commercial photographers who've turned to personal art-work, and a retired university-level photography teacher. A number of members are film photographers (with a preference for Holgas!). We've grown way past film-digital hostility and have put on respectable group shows.

This is hardly a diminution of the joys of photography, and I know other enthusiastic seniors. Flickr even has sites where the elderly share their work.

Just my 2 cents, coming from the opposite direction ? and hoping I have company, especially among users of those old vintage cameras with two eyes.

Kirk

Thanks, Kirk, for the sharing of this. Carl Mydans kept going to his office at Time-Life after his leg had been amputated when he was in his eighties. That lad died, I suspect, with a camera in his hands, an inspiration to us all. One of our List members taught me about Mydans, a friend of his. Again, the Rollei List combines good manners and deep expertise.