[rollei_list] Re: OT: Oboe solos was: Re: Re: My Personal Future

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:41:29 -0800

Aaron Reece wrote:

On Mar 26, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

I have never heard an oboe solo, to my memory

Sure you have, you just don't know it. One of the consolations for playing the cantankerousest instrument in the whole dang band is that oboists get the best orchestral solos, bar none. Some examples:

Orig. version of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by J.S. "Big Daddy" Bach
Beginning of 2nd movt. (Marcia funebre) of Beethoven's 3rd symph.
Opening of "Swan Lake" by Tschaikovskii
Opening of "Polovstian Dances" from "Prince Igor" by Borodin
Beginning of second movement of Violin Concerto by Samuel Barber
Second movement of "Sheherezade" by Rimskii-Korsakoff, right after the bassoon solo
First movement of "Symphonic Metamorphoses on themes of Carl Maria von Weber" by Hindemith
Opening of 2nd movt. of Brahms' 2nd symph.
Overture to "Italian in Algiers" by Rossini
Beginning of "Le Tombeau de Couperin" by Ravel

etc. etc.

-Aaron

The least you could have done, Aaron, is to have included a short example, in MP3 perhaps, of each of the above...

Big Daddy indeed!  ;-)   (-;

keith whaley