[rollei_list] Re: K-14 processing USA bought film in Europe

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:34:52 -0500

Kodachrome is most sorely missed.  Much as I value Jim Brick's insights,
Kodachrome was always the ultimate medium for me and, yes, I do have some
Kodachrome slides of my parents (alas for our List basis, these were shot
on with an Argus Brick) from 1948 which are still vibrant and alive today.

The Fuji chromes are just flat unsatisfactory.  They are either so vibrant
as to consist of clown colors or to be so uncertain as to be unuseable.
Kodacolor emulions are okay but not grand.  AGFA chromes were great but are
now only available in a few bits of surviving stock.

I will use Kodachrome as long as it is available in 35mm.  For 120, I am
pressed back to Kodak so long as they continue to produce slide films.

But, then, color is alway just happy snaps, while black and white is art,
and we are certainly going to be able to continue to obtain schwarz-weiss
materials for the next several decades.

And I do wish that I could understand digital.  I do understand the new
technology sufficiently to allow me to listen to a segment of THIS IS YOUR
FBI from 14 DEC 1951, when I was pushing two years of age, but I still am
completely lost with Photoshop.  I am in the process of moving to Richmond,
VA, and my wife may have found a perfect house, one with a decent space for
a dark room.

I do have the instructions for processing K-7 or K-8 Kodachrome and it was
quite a nasty process.  K-14 was even worse, and this was a choke point on
the emulsion -- why sell a film where every processing plant needed to have
a chemical engineer as a safet person?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!