[rollei_list] Re: OT: Light bulb for slide viewer

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:36:42 -0500

At 02:57 PM 8/18/2010, Eric Goldstein wrote:
They run the filament at a higher temperature and produce less heat?

Eric Goldstein

When the filament is hotter it produces relatively more useful light for the power consumed, so it is possible to get the same light output with less input power. Doing this burns out the filament more quickly.

This is overcome these days by using the Halogen Cycle, which returns the evaporated filament material from a gas back to the hot filament. I used to think that this required a hotter outside envelope but apparently the Halogen Cycle doesn't depend on that.

Check it out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp

I think those tiny lamps in the small fancy flashlights use that style of lamp, but haven't looked to see if they are available with older style bases.

Those small bulbs, typically 300 and 500 watts, used in standing floor lamps and the "high intensity" desk lamps use Halogen cycle bulbs but you will notice that all of them have a glass heat shield to prevent contact with the basic bulb. In those cases you are cautioned to not touch the bulb when replacing it because fingerprints can cause hot spots that damage the bulb.

My notion is to just use a 3 volt bulb with the right base and go with whatever light level results.

DAW