[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:54:10 +0000

Actually Apo is a typo in the case of this lens as such an item does not exist.
The latest 50mm f1.4 is Aspherical not apo. It is by a long way the best f1.4
lens I have used wide open, and I have used a few. The new-Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar
is reported to be a retro lens and is soft and suitable for portraits wide
open, though I have not used one personally. Only 2 Leica M lenses are marked
Apo, the latest 90mm f2 and 135mm f3.4. I would be prepared to bet five bob
that they really are apo...
The Leica lenses I have, which is quite a few, may not all be apo, whether
marked thus or not, but they show noticeably less chromatic fringing than most
of the fast lenses I have from Nikon or Canon. FWIW.
Frank