[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:21:12 -0500

> I am sceptical of any test which does not test a statistically valid number of
> units. Experience and hearsay leads me to believe that there is very
> considerable sample variation in reasonably priced lenses, particularly those
> which have a very large number of elements such as zooms, especially those
> with image stabiliser units also. The precision needed in axial and radial
> location of the elements is extremely high and I do not think it is achieved
> in general production. These lenses are cheaper due to less quality control,
> IMO. If the lenses sent for review are hand selected the consumer will perhaps
> be tempted by the writers enthusiasm. If the lens he/she buys does not perform
> as well as the test item the vast majority of consumers will not notice, IMO.
> This certainly was the way it went in the HiFi business during the short time
> I was involved.
> I suspect those lenses with the minimum number of elements commensurate with
> the performance requirement, with high precision mounts correctly temperature
> compensated if possible/necessary and with a high degree of post-manufacture
> quality control are probably the good ones, and reassuringly expensive.
>
> WRT the 50mm f3.5 CV lens, firstly I am not sure whether the lens is actually
> a Heliar by construction or by marketing, and also in this era it can hardly
> be difficult to produce a spectacular lens this slow.
> cheers,
> Frank

Sample variations I'd think in a premium a product in which we area talking
about paying a premium for extra extra quality control and super tight
tolerances sample variations would have to be less of an issue; almost by
definition.

As I'm not a gambler this is why I try to go with premium products such as
Leica and Rolleiflex for my photography when ever possible.

Mark William Rabiner