[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:11:27 +0000

I am sceptical of any test which does not test a statistically valid number of
units. Experience and hearsay leads me to believe that there is very
considerable sample variation in reasonably priced lenses, particularly those
which have a very large number of elements such as zooms, especially those with
image stabiliser units also. The precision needed in axial and radial location
of the elements is extremely high and I do not think it is achieved in general
production. These lenses are cheaper due to less quality control, IMO. If the
lenses sent for review are hand selected the consumer will perhaps be tempted
by the writers enthusiasm. If the lens he/she buys does not perform as well as
the test item the vast majority of consumers will not notice, IMO.
This certainly was the way it went in the HiFi business during the short time I
was involved.
I suspect those lenses with the minimum number of elements commensurate with
the performance requirement, with high precision mounts correctly temperature
compensated if possible/necessary and with a high degree of post-manufacture
quality control are probably the good ones, and reassuringly expensive.

WRT the 50mm f3.5 CV lens, firstly I am not sure whether the lens is actually a
Heliar by construction or by marketing, and also in this era it can hardly be
difficult to produce a spectacular lens this slow.
cheers,
Frank