[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:46:42 -0500

> Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar

Nowadays Zeiss is having this Sonnar and most their other such glass made by
a fine innovative and fun company, Cosina in Japan. Said to be the largest
lens maker in the world.
"Zeiss Normal 50mm f/1.5 C Sonnar T* ZM Manual Focus Lens for Zeiss Ikon and
Leica M Mount Rangefinder Cameras - Silver B&H# ZE5015S Mfr# 1407067
Price:$ 969.00"

The Leica is still made by Leica in Germany
"Leica Normal 50mm f/1.4 Summilux M Aspherical Manual Focus Lens (6-Bit,
Updated for Digital) - Black USA B&H# LE5014MB Mfr# 11891
Price:$ 3,595.00"

Marks Math:
$3595 /$969  = 3.7

The Leica 50mm 1.4 buys you 3.7  50mm 1.5 ZM's

Cosina with its CV Voigtländer branded glass does an interesting thing when
they design and produce the lenes.
They go all out making a lens which would compete right against Leica if not
better.
Then get cut back on the glass types making them much more affordable to the
price point they want. And are amazed, reputedly at how little the quality
falls of in the final optical results.
If they do this with Zeiss I don't know but it would make sense if they did.
If I was in their shoes I'd do it the same way.

Zeiss "makes" lenses for
Sony (ZA)
Nokia
Logitech
Zeiss Ikon (ZM)
SLR-lenses (ZF, ZE, ZK, ZS)
Hasselblad (ZV)
Hartblei Tilt and Shift
Rollei
Sinar
The quotes are for the two letter ( )'s which they don't really "make" but
have others make.
The ones they make themselves in Germany are priced not lower than Leica.
And I'd be real interested in how they compete against Leica.
Because they really are competing.

I don't think a lens 3.7 times cheaper than another one is designed to
compete against it. Its simply designed for people who don't want to spend
the money. If this whole photography thing is a big deal to you then you
want performance and you start filling the piggy bank; and it might take
awhile. And you get the high priced spread.

The "Hasselblad Normal 80mm f/2.8 CFE Zeiss Planar Lens for 200 and 500
Series Cameras B&H# HA8028CFE Mfr# 3020036
Price:$ 2,488.00"
Is made by Zeiss in Germany of course and I'd love to find out how the
optical performance of this real Zeiss optic competes against Leica.

But people on the lists as of late say "which do you like best the Leica or
the Zeiss" and as if I really could get a Zeiss lens for 3.7 times less
money than I Leica I'd not be standing around reading the results splitting
hairs. I'd be rushing off somewhere to get one. I'd want the assortment
pack.
The you get what you pay for thing is so seldom broken.
And its unfortunately not broken here either.
Glass is glass. If the price point is higher the glass type choices expand.
Also tolerances. And checking.

Though sometimes you are dealing with a pretty old Leica design; BUT with
the best glass choices. Against a more cutting edge Cosina design with ASPH
and floating whatever..
I'll take a real Leica lens every time.
And I'll take a real Zeiss lens every time.
And Rodenstock Schneider.
Nikon.

By the way I have a Nikon lens made by Cosina.
A 45mm P  2.8 which cost me several hundred dollars.
Says nikon on it.
It rocks.  The finish is better than a typical nikon lens.
P stands for pancake.
A lens cap which shoots pictures.
In this case Cosina competes nicely against the badge company: Nikon.
But the Cosina has a matching if not higher price point than the average
Nikon. And if it cost enough. I'll buy it.

Mark William Rabiner