[rollei_list] Re: OT - Formula One and Perpetual Motion

  • From: "A. Lal" <alal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:49:31 -0500

Hello Ardeshir,

SNIP

>Okay, then explain why hybrids and turbine-powered race cars have been
>banned by the authorities who regulate Formula One!

Well turbos, 4-wheel drive, engines of more than 8 cylinders, CV
transmission to name a few are also banned, movable aerodynamic aids are
also banned.

Whether or not a technology is banned has nothing to do with intrinsic
merit, or lack thereof. It may have been done for cost control, safety,
or any number of other reasons, including the need to keep racing close
- albeit, not to NASCAR or IRL levels - for entertainment purposes.

I only follow this as a fan; Frank Dernie might be able to shed more
light on such decisions are taken. I expect there is subtle lobbying
from teams to ban technology in which their competitors have a head
start.

>PS: as for perpetual motion, I guess you've never heard of the atom, in

>which the electrons ARE in perpetual motion. Dear oh dear.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with a perpetual motion _*machine*_.

Regards,
Akhil

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.