[rollei_list] Re: OT - Formula One and Perpetual Motion

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:34:02 +0000

I can, I have sat on the F1 Technical working group and its predecessor
on and off since the late 70s. The rules have, for the last 20 years
been politically and financially manipulated, it is a long time since
they had a simple unambiguous technical objective, but that is a long
and emotive story.
To answer your questions:
Turbines were banned simply to help prevent spiralling costs should
they prove to be competitive (ie if a turbine engine was necessary to
win and only 1 team had one it would ruin the racing until enough
others has designed and built one). As it happens, study shows turbine
engines to be unsuitable for racing cars for the obvious (to race
engineers) reasons.
Hybrid (as like Prius) was banned for performance reasons. The
regenerative and assistance in acceleration modes would have made the
cars much faster and nobody (on the political side) wanted that. I
personally very much regret this, but then I have regretted almost
every non-safety related rule change since the politically motivated
fiddlers took over from the engineers and ruined the racing.
Frank