[rollei_list] Re: OT - Formula One and Perpetual Motion

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:44:43 +0000

My first season actually travelling in F1 was 1976. I had been involved
since 1971. The first obviously political attempt to manipulate the
rules was in 1980.
One of the problems with F1, and I expect all sport, is the difficulty
of outsiders to get any truthful information about it. Nobody who knows
how to do it has written a book, those in the know keep their secrets
from the journalists as they don't want them published. The only way to
learn the truth about F1 is to do it!
There are some good journalists about but is unbelievable what some
fans want the truth to be!
I was on the F1 commission from 1979 and when it broke into separate
political and technical groups I was subsequently on the technical
working group. The politicians did not want the engineers logical
comments to sully their fanciful ideas of how to make F1 better - well
it is a better business but worse sport.
Frank