[rollei_list] Re: OT: Contax II

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:21:58 -0500

At 03:07 PM 11/6/2008, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
>Thank you very much Marc for the detailed info, I'll try to locate
>Eddie Smoloff in Brooklyn.

Carlos

I serve as an officer of elections. That meant that I was on my feet for 18 hours this Tuesday past and am still slowly regaining my wits. Members of this List will be dismayed and, well, astonished to learn that I have to be NICE to everyone for those 18 hours. It is emotionally draining for me to be NICE for that long when you just want to grab someone and shake them and to tell them to quit being a fool. Oy Vey! What's a guy to do? I finally got myself together enough today to drive over to the Goodwill to drop off my wife's latest decisions of abandonment, to hit the local Library to pick up two DVD's they were holding for me (HIGH NOON and THE LONGEST DAY, for those interested in my taste in movies, though my all-time favorite is UNCONQUERED, in which Ward Bond plays my fourth-great-grandfather.) Then I hit the Class Six (liquor) store at Fort Lee and came home. I have managed to decipher five serial number queries, one of which was yours, over the past day, but I am simply out of energy until next week.

I will dig out the contact info for Eddie in a couple of days and post it here. He is also great with Leica thread-mount cameras, due to his FED training. The very last Contax II cameras made were those with a serial number beginning in O; these were made during the Second World War. When I bought one of these, I had Eddie overhaul it. I would not have entrusted this camera to just anyone: he has always done superlative work for me. For the reasons set out above, prompt me if I've not posted the contact information by next Wednesday. (Tuesday next is MY holiday, Veterans' Day, aka Armistice Day, and I shall celebrate it in some fashion.)

Daniel had suggested that Eddie served as Fedka's maintenance guy. Fedka is Yuri Boguslavsky, a purveyor and authority on Soviet/Post-Soviet (SPS) cameras. I know Yuri quite well but I do not know the answer to that. The first Russian Camera List was destroyed by the disappearance of the owner; its successor was destroyed by the devolution of Bob Shell. We had a repair guy in the Ukraine who was active on those Lists, and perhaps that is the person Yuri uses. I will ask him.

In any event, my suggestion is Eddie Smoloff: fast, inexpensive, and VERY capable. I have entrusted several of my most valuable cameras to his care, and he has done grand work.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!