[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Bit About Myself

  • From: Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:36:50 -0400

On Apr 28, 2010,  Marc Small wrote:

"Lawyers represent clients and do the best job possible in presenting their
client's cases. It can be a matter of grand humor or a matter of deep horror,
but it is a career based on the understanding of the law and its procedures. I
do not regret my quarter of a century as an attorney, and I do not regret
having retired in 2006 -- my professional life was always a narrow race between
the ethics folks and the creditors and the IRS and the mental health guys, and
I was lucky to get out with my life."

As your comment suggests, there is a huge divide between the
practice of law and the business of law.  I love my work as a lawyer
but I chafe at the business of it, at least here in New York City.
This week, I won summary judgment in a large commercial case
that alleged unfair competition and stolen trade secrets.  It was
an especially sweet victory because the court denied summary
judgment back in July, and we prevailed only after asking the
court to admit error and to reconsider its initial denial -- a rare
occurrence indeed.  It was one of those wins that makes you
giddy and whoop and carry on with glee.

When I called home to tell my wife, I told her I had good news
and bad news.  The good news?  We won the case on summary
judgment, and saved the client years of depositions and trial.
The bad news?  We won the case on summary judgment, and
saved the client years of depositions and trial.

My daughter, out of the blue, informed me last week that she
wants to be a lawyer.  "Must be the influence of Atticus Finch,"
I said.  "No, of my father," she replied.  I'm not sure I've done
her any favors.

Sanders