[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Bit About Myself

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:42:45 -0400

At 12:36 AM 4/29/2010, Sanders McNew wrote:

As your comment suggests, there is a huge divide between the
practice of law and the business of law.  I love my work as a lawyer
but I chafe at the business of it, at least here in New York City.
This week, I won summary judgment in a large commercial case
that alleged unfair competition and stolen trade secrets.  It was
an especially sweet victory because the court denied summary
judgment back in July, and we prevailed only after asking the
court to admit error and to reconsider its initial denial -- a rare
occurrence indeed.  It was one of those wins that makes you
giddy and whoop and carry on with glee.

When I called home to tell my wife, I told her I had good news
and bad news.  The good news?  We won the case on summary
judgment, and saved the client years of depositions and trial.
The bad news?  We won the case on summary judgment, and
saved the client years of depositions and trial.

My daughter, out of the blue, informed me last week that she
wants to be a lawyer.  "Must be the influence of Atticus Finch,"
I said.  "No, of my father," she replied.  I'm not sure I've done
her any favors.

Sanders

The only serious argument I ever had with my son was when he told me that he wanted to become an attorney. He backed off and went into a decent job -- he is now a construction foreman in Alaska. My family are incapable business folks. We get all wrapped up in the details of the job and forget to make money. I was a grand attorney and can teach the folks challenging Obamacare how to move the case along properly. But I never could make a solid dime of profit out of the business. The details obsessed me. I simply never learned how to ask for a fee up front. Doh ....

I had an absolute record of success defending guys accused of owning firearms after having been convicted of felonies. I used to walk back to my office after a case and tell my staff, "let the record be unbroken". But that was in western Virginia, where the citizens accept a fellow's right to own a firearm. The prosecutors used to ask me to recuse myself just so they would have an honest shot at a conviction. Yup, and I'd get paid $125 for all of my efforts. Good attorney, lousy businessman.

I understand your situation, Sanders. I always went for the quick kill and that often meant that my clients did not understand the need to pay me a fee. I was a very good attorney and a very poor businessman.

Well, I will be five years retired in JUL 2011, and I will then be permitted to dispose of my remaining files. I am intending on burning them in my back yard with the world's biggest weenie roast and perloo meet. You all are invited. If you ask nicely, I will have a side of steamed Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs and some chilled beer. It will be an event not to miss -- hell, I might even pay the freight to haul Jerry Lehrer and Richard Knoppow to the Right Coast for the occasion. Maybe Jerry can then link up with his cousin and get me the numbers from the Studio Rollei the guy has been storing since 1949.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!