[rollei_list] OT: A Bit About Myself

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:48:43 -0400

At 09:05 AM 4/29/2010, bicycle551@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

During your time in the Army, did you ever transition to the JAG Corps? Just wondered if our paths ever crossed on AD or Reserves.

I was commissioned into the Ordnance Corps and retired from that august body 22 years later. Along the way, I was branch qualified in Ordnance, Infantry (argh!), and the MP's. Loggies Rule! I served in the Virginia Army National Guard from 1979 to 1983, then in the 80th Division (TNG) until 1987, followed by three years in the 2174th US Army Garrison (as Deputy Provost Marshal), then by three years in the 2079th US Army School teaching C&GS. My last two years were spent in the old 80th MTC, which morphed into a lanes-training unit as part of the 78th "Jersey Lightning" (he yawns) Division. And then I made telephone colonel and twenty years and they dangled the buy-out, and I took it. That was in 1994.

I am currently serving as the Provost Marshal to the Virginia Defense Force. Most US States have these. With a single exception, these are all unarmed, unpaid auxiliaries to the National Guard -- and, yes, I keep running into old friends from all around the Commonwealth, guys I knew back in the Guard and the Reserves. I work for a fellow I've known since 1970. We drill one day per month. I am senior enough to run my own schedule -- I had to take off the last drill to work on writing Charlie Barringer's obit, for instance, and I generally cut out around noon most drills. I have good folks working for me, so this is not a problem. Some of you guys with a military background ought to consider joining your State Defense Forces. Hell, we even take guys off civvie street. One of the Plank-Owners in the VDF is my Master Sergeant, Ronnie Mongold, who has never served a day in the military outside of the VDF -- but who is a consummate NCO. I could not ask for a better sergeant.

The sole exception to the unarmed bit is the Alaska State Defense Force. My son lives in Wasilla, Alaska, and is a crack shot (hell, I taught him how to shoot) but I cannot get him interested in joining even when I point out that he would have range time with that Rich Uncle providing the ammo. Ah, well. He is a contrary cuss, but I have heard it suggested by several on this List that I am such, as well ...

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!