[rollei_list] Re: OT: A Bit About Myself

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:24:31 -0400

At 11:00 PM 4/28/2010, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

>I am impressed!  The only really prestigious school that I attended was
>the Bronx HS of Science.
>
>I have been told that I would have made a lousy lawyer, I never learned
>to  bluff or  prevaricate.  I calls  'em as I sees  'em!

Well, on the first point, the Bronx HS of Science speaks buckets about you and your depth of knowledge. That is one really fine school.

Hmm. Lawyers represent clients and do the best job possible in presenting their client's cases. It can be a matter of grand humor or a matter of deep horror, but it is a career based on the understanding of the law and its procedures. I do not regret my quarter of a century as an attorney, and I do not regret having retired in 2006 -- my professional life was always a narrow race between the ethics folks and the creditors and the IRS and the mental health guys, and I was lucky to get out with my life. I had a nasty bit with the State Bar after I retired and I finally just told them to take my license, as I was retired -- it was over a matter of accountancy, and they had me dead to rights, as I just had not taken proper care of attending to details. I was so burned out by the time I retired that I have never billed the State for the final $15,000 or so owed me for condemnation work I did for VDOT. I look at those files from time to time, and never pick one up. A former secretary who lives locally will process them but I doubt that the State will pay them after all these years.

Another former secretary e-mailed me earlier today to ask about a case I had argued before the Virginia Court of Appeals in 1990. Damn! I remember the case -- I won, and the rule of the case was that a mother being incarcerated, absent anything else, was not grounds to permit termination of parental rights. But I do not recall the name of the case. I did remind her that she probably had the brief on the office computer I had given her when I retired, and that the current Mayor of Roanoke was the Guardian ad litem and might recall the case, as he lost it big time.

Even though I have not had a license for years, I am required to maintain files for five years. Well, come JUL 2011, I will be burning the lot of them -- and I have a MASS of files -- in my back-yard. You all are invited to the world's largest weenie roast and perloo gathering, details to follow -- I might even host you teuchters to some steamed crab, an East Coast delicacy. Then I will have storage space freed up to allow me to recreate my dark room. But, at the moment, my attic eaves are growing weary with the weight of all these files ...

<he grins>  Life has been very good to me.  Never explain, never complain.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!