[rollei_list] Re: Karl Heitz, RIP (Query: Mechancial Cameras)

  • From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:49:44 -0600

Is the list aware that Karl Heitz died a few months ago? He left the
business to his longtime employee Loretta Rosa and from what I understand
she will be transferring ownership to one of the technicians (his name
escapes me at the moment).

My father gave me a 9d for my thirteenth birthday (he was already a 5 and 6b
user). I am such a hopeless Alpa fanatic that on my first visit to NYC when
I was fifteen, with all that NY has to offer the tourist, I was insistent
that my first order of business was to visit Karl Heitz back when he was in
the D&D Building. I spent the entire afternoon there and he could not have
been more gracious to a snotty nosed kid with obviously very little money to
spend; he very patiently brought out just about every lens and accessory
available for the cameras for me to handle. I think I ended up buying a
braided leather neck strap, but remember the experience like it was
yesterday.
        Cheers,
        Doug