[rollei_list] Re: Ikonta Book?

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 02:12:05 -0400

At 04:58 PM 4/12/2009, you wrote:

>It would be nice if, somewhere out there, someone has put together a
>nice fat file on the SI folders.  I have several, different models and
>vintages, and more information would be good.

It turns out that there is a pamphlet on the Zeiss Ikon folders published in France and, of course, in French. I just learned of it yesterday but will try to get a copy.

I really sense that Zeiss Ikon was rethinking the line entirely in the immediate Pre-War yeas and, had WWII not occurred, a much more mature line would have emerged more rapidly, with less of that rather unsettling mixture of shutters and lenses which mars the system for the folders of that era. I think Nerwin would have brought out, by 1943, the following line:

Nettar no rangefinder, Klio shutters and the like with Frontar or Novar lenses only
Ikonta          no RF, Compur shutters and Novar or Tessar lenses
Ikonta-M        uncoupled RF, Compur shutters and Tessar lenses
Super Ikonta coupled RF, Compur shutters and Tessar lenses, the B now producing 12 exposures

As it is, the Prewar offerings were an undigested mass, with Compur shutters on Nettars and Klio shutters on Ikontas and it was basically "use what can be found in the stockroom, but let's keep the bunny hopping to get product out the door". Nerwin had a very orderly mind and he had the full support of the then-head of Zeiss Ikon, Heinz Küppenbender, albeit Herr Doktor Heinz was shifting from heading up Zeiss Ikon to heading up the Zeiss Foundation and, during the War years, all of the German optical industry.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!