[rollei_list] Re: Ikonta... OT Schleswig-Holstein

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 02:18:47 -0400

At 10:58 AM 4/12/2009, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

>To see the world is a little world sometimes, the father in law of one
>my great uncles called Karl Ludwig Ferdinand von Billerbeck fought for
>the Prussian Army during the first Schleswig-Holstein war; after the
>July 1849 truce, he was licensed and got a contract to come to Brazil
>to integrate the Brazilian Army in preparation to support the
>argentinean rebels fighting against Juan Manuel de Rosas, the
>Argentinean president they considered a dictator. The argentinean
>rebels with the Brazilian support won the Caseros battle in 1852 where
>von Billerbeck participated and Juan Manuel de Rosas was received in
>England like political refugee.
>Billerbeck became a civilian and founded a prolific family in southern
>Brazil and northeastern Argentina, one of his descendants keeps a
>large picture about KLF v. Billerbeck wearing his Prussian uniform
>from the first Schleswig-Holstein war.

It is really interesting when someone inserts a bit of family history. I am blessed by lacking any connection to the English, as my people were Scots and Irish and French Hugenot and Rhine German. The latest German connection was a Rothrock who came over in 1846, so my people seem to have missed the two Danish Wars. (My father ran down some relatives in 1981, and these are now one of the only two branches in the Old Countries we are in distant contact with, the other being an Iain Small, with whom I seem to share a seventh-great-grandfather, name as of yet unknown -- I am from the senior surviving branch, he is from the cadet branch.)

In any event, it would seem, Carlos, that your relative had an active life! Thanks for the sharing of the story.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!